A dog owner was left horrified after finding a note in her back garden warning that her pet had been poisoned as a result of “too much barking”.
Cheri Blair, from Sydney, Australia, had let her seven-month-old puppy Jolene out into the garden on Monday morning but became suspicious when she didn’t come back into the house.
When she went to look for Jolene, she found a dog bone and an unsealed envelope containing a note which had been dropped over the garden fence.
The note indicated that her Portuguese podengo puppy had been poisoned, with the badly typed message reading: “Your dog is to be poisoned, to much barking, sorry but no choice, your falt.”
Cheri rushed her dog to the vets, where Jolene was induced to vomit and spent a day undergoing treatment, as reported by 7News.
Thankfully, the pet made a full recovery but Cheri was left with a $500 (£358) bill and no idea who had targeted Jolene, saying she has never had problems with her neighbours previously.
Police told 7News that they are investigating the allegations and that the dog is now “fine and well”.
Cheri said she recognised the bone to be one specifically made for dogs and added the person responsible must have gone to a pet shop to find one before dropping it into her garden.
“Just sickening to think,” Cheri said. “If they had a problem with us, they should have said.
“It (the bone) was halfway down the house. They would have stood over the side and dropped it over.”
She added: “I’m very vigilant at making sure Jolene doesn’t bark. Jolene is an inside dog.”
Cheri said she has since spoken to two of her neighbours and claims they had said they have never heard Jolene bark, and the owner could only recall one incident on a Saturday in which her pet had barked as another dog had upset her.