May 16, 2022

Miracle dog survives 400ft plunge as fisherman finds pooch at bottom of cliff

The overjoyed owners of a pet dog have voiced their disbelief after he survived a 400ft cliff fall.

Miracle pooch Frank plunged down the rugged cliff face in Yorkshire as frantic Stewart Wragg searched for him.

Frank, a five-year-old Lakeland Patterdale terrier cross, was found by a fisherman at Cayton Bay, Scarborough.

He is recovering at home after the shocking deal, which left him with broken front and back left legs and missing teeth.

Stunned Stewart said: “If he were a human, he would have been dead. He has fallen and landed flat on his left-hand side.

“Somebody was looking down on him that day because how he has survived that fall, I don’t know.”

Owner Stewart Wragg said he has no idea how his pet survived
Owner Stewart Wragg said he has no idea how his pet survived

Not only did Frank endure the drop after falling onto the rocks below the cliffs at Cayton Bay, Scarborough, North Yorks., but it is a stroke of luck that he was even found ` by a lone fisherman looking for good fishing spots while the tide was coming in.

If he had not been found then, he would have been taken out to sea.

Frank is now recovering at home in the village of Marsh Lane, Derbys., after having £4,000 worth of vet care which has seen him have one broken leg repaired and his back knee rebuilt with polycarbonate.

The accident happened last month when 63-year-old builder, Stewart, was on holiday with his ex-partner, Allison Howe, 49, and their son, Ewan, seven.

Keen walker Stewart met up with friends to walk the Cleveland Way ` a North Yorkshire 100-mile walk from Helmsley to Filey.

The dog incredibly survived the huge fall in Skegness last month
The dog incredibly survived the huge fall in Skegness last month

Frank, his trusty sidekick, who has accompanied him on all his walks, from the Hebridean Way to the Munro mountains of Scotland, was loyally by his side.

The father-of-three was embarking on the leg that goes between Scarborough and Filey ` across steep 400ft clifftops – marked with stark warnings – when he noticed at midday that Frank had disappeared.

In an unusual twist Frank went missing on a part of the expedition called Frank Cliff.

The height there is bigger than a football pitch ` which is 300ft long.

Concerned Stewart said: “We were at the highest point on the walk, but it didn’t even enter my head that he could have gone over the edge.

“I suspected he had caught the scent of a rabbit and gave chase.

“We spent about an hour and a half looking for him when we decided we ought to move on.

“I was frantic with worry, but terriers are clever dogs and will usually find their way back by retracing their steps.”

Frank is recovering at home with owner Stewart Wragg
Frank is recovering at home with owner Stewart Wragg

Stewart called the local dog warden to report Frank missing in the hopes that somebody would find him and hand him in, if he didn’t find his way back to the car.

But when he got back to his car 3.30pm he wasn’t there, but his phone started ringing.

His heart plummeted when Alma Veterinary Surgery in Scarborough said they had Frank in their care, and he wasn’t in a good way after falling from the cliff.

Stewart said: “I asked if I could come and get him and they told me it wasn’t as easy as that, that they still didn’t know the extent of the damage and, as he was sedated, I ought to wait until morning.

“I had the worst night’s sleep that night. I really thought I was going to lose him.

“I have had Frank since he was two-years-old, for three years, and he a great friend to me, to be without him would be awful. He means so much.”

Frank suffered broken legs and lost some of his teeth
Frank suffered broken legs and lost some of his teeth

Stewart couldn’t believe how Frank had fallen down the cliff, been found by a fisherman who had taken him from the beach, wrapped him in a towel and handed him in to the RSPCA.

The dog warden contacted by Stewart had also got in touch with the RSPCA who put two and two together.

Frank’s microchip had been damaged in the fall.

“When I got to see Frank, it was amazing,” said Stewart. “He couldn’t walk and was severely injured, but he was still wagging his tail like mad.

“I am just so so grateful that he is alive. It could have had a very different ending.

“I have learnt the hard way that I need to keep my dog on a lead when we’re walking on cliffs in the future.”

RSPCA officer Claire Little said: “It is such a high drop – he was a very lucky boy to survive the fall and then to be found especially as the tide was coming in.

“I would just like to remind people walking on coastal paths it is often good to put their dogs on leads in these areas.

“Often dogs can get excited with all the sights and sounds, and even older pets may wonder further than they usually do.”