November 27, 2021

Mum’s anger as toddler ends up in hospital after falling in dog mess at beauty spot

A panic-stricken mum had to take her toddler son to hospital after he fell over and landed in dog mess.

Francesca Lewis, 26, was out for a walk with her son Riley-Jacques when disaster struck.

The toddler took a tumble at Conisbrough Castle and ended up with dog mess on his hands, face and even in his mouth, reports Yorkshire Live.

He also cut his lip during the nasty fall at the Doncaster beauty spot on February 28.

Francesca was forced to clean him with just baby wipes and sanitiser as the toilets were shut due to the lockdown.

The single mum, from Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, said: “It just infuriates me and makes me so angry.

“This could have been so much worse. Had it gone in his eyes, it could have made him blind.”

Francesca was walking with her son Riley-Jacques at a beauty spot in Doncaster on Sunday

The pair were on a walk with another single parent from their support bubble when Riley-Jacques fell over.

Francesca said: “Once we arrived at the castle we let our children go out to explore the castle grounds.

“Riley-Jacques was walking towards the gate entrance that allows you straight onto the castle grounds and he stumbled.

“He’s only been walking since November so is still getting his bearings.

“I went over to pick him up and noticed his hands were covered in dog poo so went to go and grab baby wipes and went back to clean his hands.

“I noticed it was all over his mouth, chin, lips and inside his mouth.

“Due to coronavirus the toilets on the castle grounds were shut so I had no access to fresh water to clean him down properly.

“So I had to use baby wipes and hand sanitiser.

“I used a baby wipe in his mouth and noticed blood, he had cut the inside of his mouth while falling.”

Back home, Francesca was still worried about her son and rang 111.

Francesca Lewis and her son Riley-Jacques and dog Beatrix

The mum was told to take him to Doncaster Royal Infirmary (DRI) as she was unsure if he had swallowed any mess.

She added: “Faeces is dangerous and can cause blindness and if a dog isn’t wormed there could be ringworm too.

“We went to DRI and the triage checked him over and found a cut in his mouth.

“A doctor advised him to be on antibiotics for seven days and to keep an eye out for fever, sickness and diarrhoea. If any of those symptoms show he is to go straight back to DRI.”

Francesca said this is not the first time dog mess has been an issue in her local area.

It also prevents her from letting her son play freely outside due to the amount of mess on the pavements and in local nature areas.

She said: “Every single day without fail walking to the shop or trying to go out somewhere when the weather is nice the amount of dog poo I have to dodge is unbelievable.

“It makes me not want to take my child out to play because our field and play areas for our children are full of dog mess.”

She added: “If you can’t take on the responsibility of a dog and cleaning up after them then you shouldn’t own one.

“Riley-Jacques seems fine at the moment but I’ve got to monitor him over the week.

“He has had a lucky escape if i’m honest but the next time it could be so much worse.”