An excited puppy gulped down his owner’s Apple Airpods whole – but the wireless earphones miraculously came out intact.
Owner Rachel Hick, 22, said her “heart sank” when she realised her Golden Retriever Jimmy had eaten her earphones.
She rushed him Vets Now in Hull, where the dog underwent intricate surgery for the pricey device to be removed from his stomach.
And rather surprisingly, the case came out intact, with the headphones still inside and the charging light still on.
Hours later Rachel discovered both the charger and the headphones still worked perfectly.
Do you have a similar dog story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rachel, who lives at home with her parents in Willerby, near Hull, described how it all started as she said: “It was Easter Sunday and Jimmy has his own Instagram account, so I was taking photos of him getting his first dog Easter egg to use on Instagram.
“He was jumping up and running around going crazy, he was so hyped up and excited.
“As he jumped, he knocked my AirPods out of my pocket and they fell on the floor, and before I even realised they’d dropped on the floor, he’d eaten them whole.
“He looked up at me straight after and gave me a look as if to say ‘that wasn’t the treat, was it?’ My heart sank.”
Rachel raced the puppy to Vets Now, an out-of-hours pet emergency service in the city, where he was scanned.
Susana Jauregui, who is senior vet at Vets Now in Hull, said: “Our vet on duty that evening, Steven, x-rayed Jimmy and the radiograph images clearly showed the AirPods case still intact in his digestive system.
“There was a risk of it causing an obstruction and, with it being a charging case, Steven was also concerned about battery acid leaking so, after discussing the situation with Jimmy’s owners, he agreed to operate.
“Jimmy’s a beautiful dog and he’s lucky his owners acted so promptly. Battery acid is highly dangerous to dogs as are large foreign objects, especially if they’re allowed to pass into the intestine.”
To Steven’s surprise, there wasn’t a scratch or a tooth mark on the device and even the charging light was still on.
The operation took place on a Sunday evening and Jimmy spent the night recuperating in the clinic.
He is now home, with a cone around his head to stop him licking his stitches.
Rachel said: “He’s a bit sorry for himself, we’re not allowed to exercise him so he has all this energy and nowhere for it to go.
“I have been so worried about him, it’s certainly a cautionary tale for other dog owners. I can’t believe the AirPods still work, they’ve had a good clean!”
All of Vets Now’s premises always have a vet and vet nurse on site.
Join our brand new website TeamDogs now.
Maybe when you get there, make sharing a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed your very brilliant first job.
They also offer an online video consultation service to make professional veterinary advice more easily available.
While the service is not suitable for life-threatening emergencies, like Jimmy’s, their experienced vets are available to discuss any worries or concerns you might have.
If your pet needs an in-person follow-up appointment at any vet practice, Vets Now will refund the online consultation fee, so you never pay twice.